Thread: Mondo Macabro
View Single Post
Old 28th January 2018, 07:01 PM
Cult Acolyte

found this while i was looking at Cinema Arcana FB. it was posted Dec last year.

"Cult favorites Mondo Macabro have developed a reputation for delivering the weirdest and wildest cinematic oddities from the farthest reaches of the globe, and in 2018 they’re launching a new sublabel dedicated to some of their craziest findings yet – this time sourced right from your own backyard! Behold AMERICAN ARCANA, a carefully-curated collection of genre goodies guaranteed to please those with tastes a bit more jaded.

The inaugural release under this new banner is a diseased double-dose of exploitation atrocities presented in collaboration with the mad geniuses at Something Weird Video: Byron Mabe’s THE BUSHWHACKER (1968) & Charles Nizet’s THE RAVAGER (1970)!

When a coonskin-capped degenerate shoots down a small plane in the dusty deserts of California, its occupants seem to think their only chance for survival is intermittent walking and rampant humping. Turns out they’re perfect prey for THE BUSHWHACKER! He’s a randy old recluse with no qualms about kidnapping his new go-go girlfriends away for a night of sadistic thrills, and soon the whole show devolves into a macabre mélange of mutilation, necrophilia and cannibalism. Caution: This motion picture contains plenty of unwhacked bushes.

‘Nam was Hell for THE RAVAGER! Lost in the jungles, G.I. Joe Salkow stumbles upon the scene of a woman being assaulted, beaten bloody, then detonated with dynamite. The shock awakens something within him; returning home, Joe submits to these base desires and begins building bombs with the express purpose of blowing up lovers. Or lesbians. Or kids. Whatever… it doesn’t really matter to Joe, as long as someone’s exploding. Holy hell.

Deemed too violent by their intended skinflick crowd, both films crashed and burned at the box office, relegated to obscurity until they were exhumed by the exploitation excavation crew at Something Weird Video. Now, Mondo Macabro are hoping they’ll find an even wider audience with this double-feature Blu-Ray. The pair have been scanned and mastered in 2K by the gang at AGFA from extremely rare 35mm prints, and supplements are slated to include a batch of specially selected trailers from the SWV vaults. Expect more details in the new year.

While the company isn’t ready to announce future American Arcana titles just yet, I can verify that one’s a never-on-home-video ‘70s sickie that I’ve been itching to see for quite some time – so watch this space!"