View Single Post
Old 1st February 2018, 12:49 PM
Cult Master

The Evil Dead, The Living Dead and the dead wrong: New DVD celebrates the 80s heyday of video nasties - a genre that didn't quite corrupt the nation's youth … or its dogs | The Gurdian

Paragraph #5: "Whitehouse had previously and largely ineffectively railed against such TV shows as Doctor Who, Benny Hill and the works of the great television dramatist Dennis Potter. Here, however, was a new campaign: on a topic most people knew even less about than she did. "I have never seen a video nasty … I actually don't need to see visually what I know is in that film," she proudly proclaimed to Nick Owen on TV-am. Most people refused to take her seriously, but that was a big mistake. Before long, others had joined Whitehouse's crusade or taken up a similar, self-righteous path. Conservative MP Sir Graham Bright was another key player. Here was a man who said, on camera, "I believe there is research taking place and it will show that these films not only affect young people but I believe they affect dogs as well." It's a statement more shocking and horrifying than anything you'll find in any of the 72 films decreed by the government to be officially "nasty"."

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty