View Single Post
Old 7th February 2018, 02:01 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Location: Cornwall. The land of Cornish pasties, pixes and Straw Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Not so much taste.

The prequels are essentially shit movies that slowly get better as Lucas watches them, realises where he went wrong and essentially relearns the art of film making.
Phantom menace is especially egregious as it's over reliance on CGI over practical effects are painfully obvious in HD. I got the chance to speak with most of the guys who worked on the practical effects who told me Lucas basically told them they wouldn't be needed for most of the shoot as the work was going to be done by computers. Then over half way through he suddenly began dumping more and more work on them in a panic as he realised nothing was working as it should. From all accounts the behind the scenes stories on phantom menace are more interesting than the finished film.

As for 4-6. Well that's just annoyance on my part. I can see the films I used to like peeking through the layers of CGI. Pratfalling jawas. Fake looking Jaba the hutt in episode 4. Greedo shooting first and numerous other irritations. Give me the untampered with versions I can watch them just fine.
Well that's the joy's of filmmaking. I'm certain Lucas didn't mind "dumping more and more work on them" at ILM. I always thought that's what Lucas set them up for, to sort out issues in the filmmaking process. Employee's get paid to do it, so I see no real issue with it. God. I wish I was paid the money some of those guys get working on films. Makes my retail job wages look somewhat inferior. Well it's bound to look somewhat inferior with new technology like HD. There's very few films made over 20 to 30yrs that have effects that look like they were made for the HD technology of today.

There's effects in films being produced today that already look badly rendered, and show up on HD technology. As I said before, Lucas did what was needed with The Phantom Menace. He told the story, delivered the continuity for the next film, and carried forward the story arc effectively enough, do you see that in The Last Jedi? The prequels aren't perfect, but with Lucas moving the momentum forward, the films have a decent, rounded story arc that has a sense of purpose.

Well, that's up to Lucas. He made the decision to make the alterations to the original films. His work. At least Lucas put out the LaserDisc versions on the DVD format back in the early 00's. Better than nothing.