View Single Post
Old 18th February 2018, 11:13 AM
Cult Addict

The secret of Dorian Gray

Massimo Dallamano directs what is for me, the greatest adaptation of The picture of Dorian Gray. The film takes the book and drags it kicking and screaming into the sexual revolution of the 60's and 70's. Helmut Berger is perfectly cast as the libertine who is granted immortality and embraces a life of polyamorous decadence. It's setting allows the characters bisexuality to become more obvious, with Gray enjoying affairs with Men (including Herbert Lom) and women equally. The depiction of his corruption, as the years begin to dull his tastes and he becomes increasingly bored of his decadent lifestyle is well realised, with Gray becoming increasingly mean spirited and self centred, happy to destroy his friends happiness for his own brief kicks. My only complaint is that Dellamano doesn't quite capture the sense of years passing, with his friends suddenly seeming to have aged rather than depicting it as a gradual process. However this is about the only real criticism I have of an otherwise terrific film.

Plot of fear

A serial killer is targeting rich people, leaving illustrations at the scene of the crime that leads him to be dubbed 'the fairy tail killer'.
The film has a weird off kilter tone that seems to stray into the comedic at inopportune moments. The lead character, Gaspare Lomenzo seems to have a happy go lucky attitude and it led to a little frustration from me in pinning down the tone that Paolo Cavara wasd going for. A shame as otherwise its a solid little Giallo with a great cast including John Steiner, Tom Skerritt and Eli Wallach. Its bloody in places but not excessively so instead focusing on graphic sexuality including several extended sex scenes and a hardcore animated movie watched at a gathering of wealthy libertines. Its an odd one but worth catching if you get the chance.

The counsellor

No, not the dreadful Ridley Scott movie!

Thomas Accardo, played by Thomas Milian is getting released from prison. An ex mafiosi he wants to leave the family and gets the blessing of Don Antonio Macaluso played by Martin Balsam, his Godfather. Other family members are not happy at this and go to war against the Don, leading Thomas back into the life, much against the wishes of his missus Laura, played by Dagmar Lassander. What then follows is a series of tit for tat killings, double crosses and car chases.
Alberto De Martino's crime flick is perhaps a little long, and certainly far from perfect, however I really dug it. Its got that low budget charm and 70's Brutality that makes it a fun watch. Balsam is as terrific as he always was, making the Don sympathetic and likeable. Milian is also great, playing a man reluctantly being drawn back into the life by his love for the Don, ultimately embracing the lifestyle he tries to turn his back on. The film was a freebie chucked in with Dorado's Eurocrime blu-ray and if you have it I'd certainly recommend giving it a go.

Special cop in action

Set in Naples a city under siege by a brutal syndicate busy Robbing banks and kidnapping kids, Inspector Betti begins fighting back and taking down the crooks using unorthadox methods.
Brutal and stylish with a shocking ending, this one is a lot of fun. Its the third part of a trilogy, with violent Rome and violent Naples, however you don't really need to have seen either to watch this. (Violent naples is on Amazon Prime BTW) Grim, Gritty and fast paced, its a great answer to Dirty Harry.

Last edited by keirarts; 18th February 2018 at 11:26 AM.