View Single Post
Old 11th March 2018, 06:04 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
With the proliferation of streaming and the introduction of Ultra HD, I wonder how profitable DVD (and dual format) releases are nowadays. There's still plenty in HMV,, but it'll be interesting to see how long the format will last.
To be honest when I've been in HMV the vast majority of punters are in the dvd section (dvd is still the much bigger section and sometimes I'm the only one in the BD sections) and although they have a UHD section it's always empty of peeps, and as video codecs get really good (my mate ripped my Arrow dvd of ZFE for my tablet and it looked great and was only 270MB in size) downloading, legal or otherwise just might be the first option for this generation especially as super-fast broadband is advertised with "super-fast downloading" I'm coming round to the thinking that high street sales aren't down because of amazon and other online retailers but because we've made getting content online not just easy but a lifestyle preference.
Physical media might last as long as high street retailers the mindset being "if I have to go online to get it I might as well see if I can find it for free"