View Single Post
Old 30th March 2018, 05:57 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post

And all this claptrap about stuff that was just happening at the time or slaughter versus torture is bollocks! It's an excuse to excuse the inexcusable. Try saying that fast 5 times... I first saw Deodato back in the early 90's and when he spoke about Cannibal Holocaust he explained that the animal violence was a device to shock the audience so that when the human "deaths" occurred they would appear more shocking due to the state of mind of the viewer who had been primed by the previous. Fast forward 20 years with changed attitudes and suddenly there are a wealth of reasons to justify the footage.

Take Argento, the lizard pinned to the wall, wriggling. Is it Deep Red, I'm just doing this from memory? BBFC had a problem with it anyway, Dario says, "Oh no, that was a prop, not a real lizard, wriggling and gasping, we wouldn't hurt a live lizard." Fine! No problem! Big hairy bollocks is what that is. I refuse to believe they spent how much on an animated lizard for that one brief scene. Hey, maybe I'm wrong.
It makes me laugh when you hear Deodato now say Holocaust was a social commentary. Was it ****, it was exploitation pure and simple designed to shock audiences. He exploits now knowing the gullible are definitely seduced by this social commentary guff.