View Single Post
Old 5th April 2018, 09:36 AM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by platostotal View Post
Back around 92/93 I hooked a JVC VHS up to my hi-fi and recorded music onto TDK 3hr tapes with really great sound quality, even on LP mode it was far better than my Aiwa cassette deck so for a few years I would record 3hr mix tapes from CD, but as video tapes would tangle I moved first to mini-disc and then recorded to DVD and now just rip the music as Wav files and enjoy high quality music even on my bog standard Android phone, but yeah Hi-Fi vcr was a real eye... or ear openerwhen connected up to a Hi-Fi.
did you use blank high end video tapes to preserve hifi audio quality or did you use stock TDK HS blank video tapes?

cheap tapes had more noise.
back in the days I used to read electronics magazines with articles reviewing blank video tapes.
that was fun to read.

blank tapes were very expensive to buy back in the old days the so called great 80's era.
oooh how much I miss the video piracy years!
having two players and bootlegging, that was fun!

finding high quality copies of uncut movies from abroad and bootlegging them.
I could sell copies to friends and with the money I got other movies.
that was fun!!!

I don't have the same feeling for dvd's or BD.
of course they are much better in quality than VHS and most of the time offers full uncut versions.

VHS has a very special place in my heart which dvd or BD never can replace.

In 2nd place comes laserdisc, I didn't get a player and LD's until mid 90's.
laserdisc was a grey import in my country, had to be a member in video clubs to buy discs because LD's were never an official product sold in stores and therefore not censored.

we had arbitrary censorship for rental VHS movies, most violent scenes could be completely removed or be chopped in certain movies or movies could still get banned after being butchered for several minutes by the censorship, this happened with Commando and many other flix!!
WTF!?
stupid bureaucrats prohibiting all the fun!

Last edited by bronx ratnik; 5th April 2018 at 10:25 AM.