View Single Post
Old 22nd April 2018, 02:27 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Renegades (2017)

A team of Navy SEALs on assignment in war-torn Yugoslavia discover a treasure of gold at the bottom of a lake - rumored to be worth hundreds of millions of dollars. In an effort to help the locals, they go rogue and engineer a heist to retrieve the gold and return it to its rightful owners.

Whilst i didn't know of any of the actors playing the SEALS they all came across as personable even if they lose out to several scene stealing cameos from excellent character actor J.K. Simmons in what is essentially a fun film. Perhaps it borrows from Kelly's Heroes (1970) a bit too liberally at times but the central gold retrieval is original and features some impressive underwater photography.

Even though the film is enjoyable (I know i'll return to it in the future) and well worth a watch for people who enjoy classic 'men on a mission' movies i couldn't help feeling Renegades never bettered the prologue in the first twenty minutes as the SEALS extract a Serbian warlord from a heavily guarded Sarajevo compound with a tank, in a brilliant action sequence reminiscent of Bond's St. Petersburg escape during Goldeneye (1995) where shit really blows up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 098337.jpg-r_1280_720-f_jpg-q_x-xxyxx.jpg (84.4 KB, 7 views)