View Single Post
Old 14th June 2018, 09:33 PM
Seasoned Cultist

The Sontaran Experiment.

Meh.

Its not a patch on The Time Warrior for a start.

Styre is also nowhere near as good as Linx. Kevin Lindsay is a good actor but he had so much more to do in Time Warrior. Here he's barely in it! In fact the cliffhanger to Episode 1 is just a copy of the one we've already seen with Linx unmasking himself. Except this time the Sontaran looks only half as good. Sarah believes the Sontaran is somehow Linx from The Time Warrior (I would have preferred that, you could have designed the mask to have scars or something). In fact she reckons they’re identical... Is she blind?!? They aren’t identical. This one doesn’t look half as good as Linx The mask is cheaper and less detailed. They don’t even have the same number of fingers (!!!!!!!!!!!).

Its too short a Story and just sort of feels thrown in for the sake of it. You could have easily cut to Genesis at the end of Ark. We had no need to go through this.

Long gone is the tense rivalry between Irongron and Linx: this guy is just here to experiment on the resistance or something. I don't buy it: they could have easily kidnapped a bunch of humans and experimented on them that way. We don't need to be seeing this.

I just don't see why this exists. The plot is pointless, its too short (if it had been tweaked writing-wise and had another episode or so: good scenario).

Is it offensively bad? No... I'd rather watch it than The Space Pirates for instance, or the Web Planet.

The one solid thing here, besides some nice location shooting, is Tom Baker. The poor guy with his broken collarbone giving it his all. I did like the fight between the Doctor and Styre…

But this is the first Story I'd consider below average in a long time... Since 1969's The Space Pirates to be precise. It took me two sittings to get through it and its a 2 part Story. It took me a day to binge watch all 10 episodes from The War Games...

Still I finished Genesis an hour or so ago and its a masterpiece, so that should be fun to write about.