Thread: Comedy Film
View Single Post
Old 23rd June 2018, 10:49 AM
Cult Acolyte

Default Guest House Paradiso (1999)

While you would of thought that many of the people behind the ground breaking 1980's comedy team of the Comic Strip,would of given us something abit more alternative than just a British gross out comedy.I do feel that time has been quite good to Guest House Paradiso (1999),mainly because with the sad loss of Rik Mayal and the lack of Adrian Edmondson on our screens of late,this is better than nothing and alot more funnier than I remembered and better than alot of recent British comedy films that have had its stars jump from television to movie screens...And while I would of preferred a movie based on the show Bottom,what we get is something along the same lines but with slightly different names,Richard Twat (pronounced thwaite) and Eddie Elizabeth Ndingombaba,so the same but different if you see what i mean...When this first came out all those years back i was very disapointed indeed,it felt all abit like we had seen before on Bottom but without any of humour and lacking the spontaneity of there live shows which were probably the closest thing to a Bottom film when they came out on dvd at the time.But after all that said and done,I revisited the film just recently after having a Bottom splurge,and found that it was a lot funnier than I had given it credit for.The premise of the film is on dangerous ground for a start,I mean do you really want to do a hotel based comedy after Fawlty Towers,and the plot such as it is,well is pretty pants to say the least.BUT and its a big butt,its the duo of messers Mayall and Edmondson and there rather unique chemistry that safes the film in the end.And the film does up the violence stakes to the max,wether its nut crackers on actual nuts or tongs up the nose,it does not hold back on the slapstick front.But what made me laugh the most were some rather great gags like shouting Pheeb down the intercom every time they finished a sentence,or Eddie making owl noises or Richard answering the question "Where do your eggs come from? " with Ermm... Hen's vaginas? .Not a classic by any means but given a secound chance a film which will at least have you wondering how Fenella Fielding ever got involved....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (66.7 KB, 2 views)