View Single Post
Old 17th January 2010, 10:48 AM
Cult Acolyte

Location: From the bowels of Newcastle Upon Tyne he came....to collect DVDs and BRs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenzo View Post
Shivers and Rabid still have that cold & nasty atmosphere about them. I also loved The Dead Zone.
Shivers, Rabid and The Brood are undeniably my all time fave Cronenberg shockers.
One of the things i love about all three cult classics is the bleak and bland Canadian weather on display during the films.
There's very little or no sunshine onscreen and the alternative dull and drab climate conditions seem to go hand in hand with the general downbeat and nilhilistic atmosphere prevalent in the above movies.

Look at the shot in The Brood where two of the titular murderous members are leading young Candy by the hands up a long snow covered roadside. I just find the general coldness of this shot so endearing and it's this sort of visual ambience in Shivers, Rabid and The Brood that i find so striking.

It also has to be said that while dear 'ol Oliver Reed is a formidable presence in TB it's Samantha Eggar that ultimately steals the show imo with a truly impressive and unnerving performance.

One moment that quite disturbs me occurs in Shivers.
When Dr. St Luc is trying to escape Starliner Towers and heads down a staircase we hear what sounds like some people barking like dogs. Our doomed hero then traces the noise to a side door from which emerges two young girls with leashes around their necks, on their hands and knees acting like a pair of canines!
From the way the dog leads are stretched we know that somebody is in control of these two females but we never see just who it is. For some reason just the presence of some undisclosed and no doubt perverted figure around that door frame really makes this a sinister sequence imo.

That horrendous, wince-inducing 'finger amputation by scissors' segment in Rabid also gets me too!