View Single Post
Old 12th July 2018, 01:51 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Just an observation.

Being a Doctor Who fan where ratings figures seem to matter immensely i've always been fascinated by them. That and the sad stats tosser part of me that finds them intriguing.

The football match on ITV last night brought a whole new meaning to the words 'live audience'. It's generally agreed that tv ratings will never match the 70's and 80's heyday when there were only three channels until Channel 4 got in on the act in the mid 1980's. General tv audiences are down across the board thanks to the huge amount of channels we now have access to, not to mention mediums like Netflix, Amazon and I-Player.

For an ITV program to peak at almost 24 million viewers is an unbelievable figure in 2018 and just goes to show that the viewers are still there and will unite if something is worth watching. Perhaps this is something worth thinking about to the producers of the likes of Eastenders, The X Factor and all the other shows with declining viewing figures - things have become stale. Make it fresh and exciting and you will get viewers.

My own fave - Doctor Who lost around three million viewers during the Peter Capaldi era which is why the new show runner, Chris Chibnall, decided to make the new Doctor a woman. It may work, it might not but at least they are addressing the decline in viewers.

Interestingly, ITV must have made a hell of a lot of money from advertisers as the five minute viewer breakdown shows - 20.76m (76.7% of the whole tv audience) were watching at 21:00, between full time and extra time and 21.98m (77.1%) were watching at 21:40, between extra time and penalties.

That's an awful lot of people watching an advert for a Volkswagen T-Roc as it meets it's match with a black sheep.
The semi final on ITV had a peak viewing of 26.5million and an 83% tv audience share. That's without those who watched in parks, pubs and clubs.

No wonder rights to sporting events go for so much money as tv companies bid for them.