View Single Post
Old 22nd July 2018, 01:19 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Molly's Game (2017)

The true story of Molly Bloom, an Olympic-class skier who ran the world's most exclusive high-stakes poker game and became an FBI target due to dealings with the Russian mob.

As with all Aaron Sorkin written pieces, Molly's Game is a very wordy film, Sorkin's skill however is making those words so compelling you feel like you're in the middle of an adrenaline fueled action film. Even the Poker scenes, a game of which i know nothing, drew me in immediately thanks to the clever almost frantic voice over, gripping me even though i knew nothing of what was going on in the high stakes games. This is also down to Sorkin the director. Molly's Game was his first job behind the clapperboard and he handles it like a seasoned pro with edgy camera work ala Fincher and a furious pacing sustained throughout the 135 minute run time.

Jessica Chastain is superb as Molly and she gives a powerful performance in every scene, be it on screen or as a narrator. She's ably backed up by Idris Elba who really shines in his role as Molly's lawyer. The same goes for Kevin Costner as Molly's demanding father.

Although i don't consider myself a fan of flashback films, here they are handled with consummate ease as Molly recounts her life to Elba, rather than the sheer clunkiness of how other films use them.

I really enjoyed Molly's Game. They say talk is cheap, but in Sorkin's case talk is richly rewarding.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hou_art_20171229_mollysgame_header.jpg (74.0 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by Demdike@Cult Labs; 22nd July 2018 at 01:31 PM.