View Single Post
Old 2nd September 2018, 06:10 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeypedro View Post
This month i splash out £1500 on a new 4K set up including a Samsung 65" 4K tv, a Denon 4K amp, a Samsung 4K UHD player and a subwoofer. I don't normally keep up with technology trends but after seeing the difference between SD and HD i decided to upgrade.

The player purchased from Zoom for £149 came with Jason Bourne, The Shallows, Split, The Great Wall, Chappie and The Amazing Spiderman 2 and so far i have only purchased the UHD Steelbook of War For the Planet of the Apes.
If you have a bit of money left over and want to avoid wiring in ceiling speakers, I heartily recommend the ELAC Debut A4 speakers. I have them and they really add to anything with a Dolby Atmos, DTS X and even some DTS-HD Master Audio and Dolby TrueHD tracks the 360° soundstage which makes the viewing experience so much more immersive and engrossing.

Adding to the recommendations mentioned below, Sicario has some of the most astonishing cinematography I've seen in 4K and the entire film, particularly the action sequences, particularly an early one where a helicopter was hovering somewhere on the right hand side of the room before moving onto my TV look and sound astonishing – definitely a reference disc.

Others which I would use to showcase the 4K setup are:
  • Wonder Woman
  • Kong: Skull Island
  • John Wick & John Wick Chapter 2
  • Guardians of the Galaxy 2 (the space chase sequence)
  • Baby Driver
  • Logan
  • Mad Max: Fury Road
  • Blue Planet II & Planet Earth II (these for picture rather than sound)