View Single Post
Old 9th September 2018, 03:24 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default invade mars

Invaders from Mars (1953)
Little David MacLean (Jimmy Hunt) is having a bit of trouble with his parents, especially Leif Erickson who has stabled his horse at the The High Chaparral, and has now been taken over by aliens, much to his boys annoyance... Steadily everyone in the town is taken over by these sand pit dwelling dweebs, who entice people into the dunes and suck em down like so many M & M's. Still are boy hero has some allies on his side in the form of Dr. Pat Blake (Helena Carter) and Dr. Stuart Kelston (Arthur Franz), and ultimately the US Army in the end. What always stood out to me when ever I caught this on tv back in the day and still does to a point, is the paranoia and alienation the boy feels when ever he tries to explain what is happening, only to be dismissed by the towns folk who are slowly being brain washed.Also the look of the film is very striking, and the colours are so vivid and eye popping, that and the amazing sets, which seem to of been made to make its hero seem even smaller than he really is. It would be easy to say its surrealism, but then again I cannot think of anything else to call it apart from freaking weird looking, and it weired me out when I watched this as a kid. And I think this is one of those films that needs to be seen when you are young, because you appreciate the dilemma that David goes through and the trouble all those adults cause him... It also has an incredibly EC Comics feel to it as well, which is maybe just a coincidence but it does feel like a EC story come large on the screen, with its garish color palette and twisted imagery..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg im.jpg (106.5 KB, 2 views)