View Single Post
Old 15th September 2018, 11:36 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob4 View Post
Blood Harvest was rumoured to be part of American Horror Project Vol 2 from Arrow. i guess VS releasing it nixes that idea because AHP were supposed to be UK/US joint releases.
It's all very curious. I wonder if Arrow washed their hands of it. It kicked off on Facebook with Bill Rebane (what is it with people named Bill?), putting out a 'public notice to cease and desist' to which Vinegar Syndrome responded:

Quote:
DON'T PANIC! BLOOD HARVEST is not going anywhere.
Despite the recent spate of bemused nervousness over a post yesterday from the cinematic king of America's dairyland, Bill Rebane, our rights on BLOOD HARVEST are 100% legit. We acquired the title from Films Around the World, the only company to have held any valid claim over it in 25 years. They acquired it through the trustee in the bankruptcy of Shooting Ranch Ltd., the company which produced it. After Shooting Ranch went bankrupt, its IP assets (the film and screenplay copyrights) were sold outright and in perpetuity, with the sales documents recorded by the copyright office.
Although Rebane has, for decades, attempted to claim ownership on the film, going so far as to create a derivative version called 'Nightmare' as well as a more recent (and surprisingly creative) attempt at registering it as though it were a collection of still photographs, none of this undoes the fact that the copyright was legally sold to FATW, rendering any attempts by others to copyright it in any way as irrelevant.

Bottom line, order with confidence.
It's kind of understandable why 88 Films would have licensed from Bill, sure he seems crazy, but his connection with the film is irrefutable and gives an air of legitimacy. I imagine messes like this are very hard to navigate, and untangle, and I feel a little sorry for 88 Films, sitting on a bunch of unsold copies of Blood Harvest, especially as it was a release they actually put some effort into for special features.

I'll still be picking up their October releases though. Especially The Incubus.

I'm extremely excited for their November slate too:

Quote:
As with last year, we‘re going to have two secret surprise Blu-ray titles which won‘t be announced until the early morning of our Black Friday sale, along with three ’regular‘ Blu-ray releases. The headliner, which will be revealed at the end of this month (probably), is an 80s slasher with quite a bit of ’name recognition‘ that, for reasons unknown, has never been out uncut in the states. But we‘ve got that covered…and as for the other two ’secret‘ titles…? Both top shelf early 80s kill-fests, one of which was shot in the summer of 79, but both of which play much more like older films.