View Single Post
Old 15th September 2018, 08:15 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default Beneath the Planet of the Apes.(1970)

Beneath the Planet of the Apes.(1970)

The only thing more hairy than Mr Heston's chest is the back of a gorilla,so with only the briefest of cameos Chuck manages to wander off into the Forbidden Zone,leaving poor Nova hanging around holding the horse's...So It is left to John Brent (James Franciscus) to fill the chest hair wig and carry on where Heston left off..Coincidence abound as the first person Brent bumps into in the middle of the desert far from anything is the loverly super Nova on a horse.Luckily she's clutching Taylor's dog tags and eveything falls into place,well as about as much as it can do after you go forward in time crash land on a planet and fight monkees,( not the 60's beat combo)...Its Pretty hard to match the originals impact of its ending or for that first sighting of the gorilla's on horseback...But Beneath tries its damnedest to move the story along,with the odd flash back just in case anybody had not seen the first film...Of Course Brent has to go through the whole OMG its talking ape's routine and then go through the whole be-befriending Dr. Zira and Cornelius,just as Taylor had to.It's hard not to like Beneath,its goofy and not as fresh as the first film,but it has lots of good moments,naked monkeys in a sauna,human mutants who really could of used some sun-screen and a giant gold vibrator..Its fun nonsense and its always enjoyable seeing several rather respectable actors having to play monkeys..I have lost count how many times I have watched this over the years,but it is only recently that I have noticed that Roddy McDowall as Cornelius is only shown in flashback at the start and its David Watson as Cornelius doing a McDowall impression in the rest of the movie...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Beneath_the_Planet_of_the_Apes_-_Poster.jpg (20.8 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by Inspector Abberline; 16th September 2018 at 10:28 AM.