View Single Post
Old 10th October 2018, 12:05 AM
Cult Addict

Top Ten Scary Horror Films

A don't remember the last film that actually scared me as I've watched so many you kinda become a bit accustomed to how they work.

Most of the films that scared me i watched as a kid although having watched them many times it's taken the edge off.
But here are the films that scared or freaked me out as i watched them.

The Omen

omen2_4ff53c88e087c328fd000f5b.jpg

As a kid the nanny hanging scene and dogs in cemetery parts scared me, also the idea that unseen forces can either control you or kill you was terrifying, the music still creeps me out.

Halloween

hal1.jpg

As a kid the part that really got me was the end where Myers is shot then disappears freaked me out and the scenes at the end showing places where he could be hiding.
Also the sheet scene where he just stands there watching the girl.

An American werewolf in London.

american werewolf in london 1981 rick baker nazi demons.jpg

The nazi werewolf invasion and slaughter of the family is pretty disturbing.

The Texas chainsaw Massacre

tcm-leatherface.jpg

The overpowering ominous atmosphere, disorientating music and relentlessness feeling of dread is still really powerful.

Salem's Lot

vlcsnap-2012-02-11-10h17m18s146.jpg

The creepy floaty kid at window made me flip my lid.

Carrie

Carrie-1976-11-creepy-Valentine.jpg

Most of this is not particularly scary but the closet statue sticks with you and it still has my favourite jump scare, as a kid i was laid on the floor close to the tv watching this ant the hand scene sent me flying across the room.
I watched it with my daughter when she was a teenager and the hand scene made her jump too.

The Blair Witch Project

maxresdefault (13).jpg

I was staying in a house surrounded by woods when i first saw this and everyone had gone out for the evening. The situation heightened the unease, i was pretty freaked out by the end of it.

Carnival of souls

download (60).jpeg

The dreamlike feel of this film is still unnerving. When the ghostly figure keeps appearing and the final scenes at the carnival itself are chilling.

Lost highway

6.-Lost-Highway-neu-.jpg

The mystery man with camera is a truly nightmarish creation.

Nosferatu

image.jpg

The whole design and portrayal of the vampire is truly unnerving and still has the ability to creep me out. The scene when Hutter opens the door and Nosferatu is standing still looking at him is still horrifying.

Don’t look now

SOMBRA.jpg

The entire build up of this film grips you and won't let go, the way it is shot and edited builds up a web that surrounds the couple in mounting dread and metaphysical horror. Like "The Omen" it makes you feel that unseen forces could be working against you, and that you really don't stand a chance.

Stuff that was almost there -

Suspiria - Especially the eyes at window scene and the first murder.
The Descent - Claustrophobic and tense.
Messiah of evil - The cinema and supermarket scenes are the stuff of nightmares.
From beyond the grave - Another one that freaked me out as a kid, particularly the Donald and Angela Pleasence segment.

Some non film stuff.

Apache - Public safety film about kids on a farm who all die horribly through twatting around with machinery and stuff.
Was shown this at school at about age 8 and it proper made me shit myself, never played on farms though so it worked, available on one of the public information sets from BFI.

Hammer House of Horror - The "two faces of evil" episode always freaked me out as a kid.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.

Last edited by nosferatu42; 10th October 2018 at 03:11 AM.