View Single Post
Old 10th October 2018, 09:11 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

I know I'm not Susan (at least I'm pretty sure that I'm not...) but I watched the first episode last night with some trepidation and actually ended up quite enjoying it. As others have mentioned the cinematography and effects work seem to improved a lot and the incidental music was really good, pulling you into the story.

My main issues with Nu-Who have always been around the acting, the 'comic' relief, and the fact that the condensed down nature of the stories make them feel rushed and dumbed down at times in order to appeal to younger/low attention span audiences. Whilst some of the acting was still a bit wobbly, overall I thought it was an improvement over the Capaldi era in that respect (at least so far). Comic relief seemed to be dialed back a little too and the episode seemed a lot darker and less dumbed down than usual, which was good.

I liked Jodie overall, but I think I'm going to have to see more to discern whether I see her as 'The Doctor'. The first episode for a new doctor is always a bit wobbly what with the whole new body / regeneration fatigue thing going on. Not necessarily a complaint, but she actually seemed like a bit-part at times what with all the other supporting characters and their various arcs.

The 'coming soon' reel at the end didn't exactly wow me. No focus on stories/monsters just a load of random faces, most of which I'd never even heard of. It smacked a bit of desperation too, as if the writers didn't even have faith in their own decision to cast a woman doctor as if to say "please watch more, look who else we have lined up in case you didn't like who've you have just seen!"

Maybe that 's me just being a cynical bastard though.