View Single Post
Old 23rd October 2018, 01:30 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I finished watching the third of three series on iPlayer which I had been wanting to watch since the beginning of the month, if not before: Bodyguard, Killing Eve, and Trust.

Given this series was dubbed "the show everyone is talking about" in several publications, I managed to miss any spoilers for the latest series by Jed Mercurio, one which began with an incredibly tense sequence on a train and, following the titular personal protection officer, managed to weave a gripping web which I hope is fully resolved in a second season.

I didn't know Killing Eve had been shown in the US several months ago and was pleased to find out halfway through that another season has been commissioned because the wonderful game of cat and mouse between a psychopathic assassin and government trying to catch her is occasionally funny and occasionally very brutal. It's blackly comic and superbly acted, so watch it if you have the time.

Trust is entirely different as it is based on real events and is a very serious and occasionally disturbing drama about a period in the life of John Paul Getty, at the time one of the richest people in the world, and someone who didn't get that way by being nice. This generally concentrates on the period when his nephew, John Paul Getty III is apparently kidnapped and a ransom demanded, one which the old businessman has no intention of paying. As he sees it, he has plenty of grandchildren and doesn't want to set a precedent by letting people use them to extort money from him. Donald Sutherland is astonishingly good in the main role and it's clear a lot of time, research, and resources have gone into making this 10 hour series as realistic and compelling as possible. Again, highly recommended.