View Single Post
Old 4th December 2018, 03:18 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post

There were many things I admired about The Last Samurai, from the cinematography to the score and Ken Watanabe's performance, but it's a film where I felt Tom Cruse (an actor who is often maligned but one who I think is very talented and watchable) was overshadowed by the supporting cast and appeared to be trying to hard. All that said, I haven't seen it since it was first released and I rented it from Lovefilm, so it could be an outdated opinion.

I'm a huge fan of Kurosawa's films and have seen The Seven Samurai, Yojimbo and Sanjuro many times. I would recommend them, but from what I think I know about your taste in films I'm guessing you wouldn't consider watching them time or money for spent.
I don't think it a disgrace for Cruise to be overshadowed by Ken Watanabe. Just as an example of his standing the fact he got the role of the King of Siam in the recent stage version of the King and I and genuinely looked comfortable in a role owned and i mean seriously OWNED by Yul Brynner, really does say something.

The Seven Samurai is one i'll eventually get, although it's three hour plus run time does put me off somewhat. Says he who watched Gods and generals, all three and a half hours of it, on Saturday afternoon.