View Single Post
Old 9th January 2019, 09:13 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothmogxx View Post
The Two Doctors is a great Story. Was one of the first ones I ever saw actually, 10 years ago this July.

The only regret I had watching it was the lack of scenes that Patrick and Colin share together. When they're onscreen together they work wonders. On saying that thankfully their individual adventures aren't dull. Both visits from both TARDIS crews on the space station are well done: Colin's in particular is full of suspense and well designed sets. The lack of lighting helped sell it as creepy.

Meanwhile the Sontarans thankfully look a lot better than they did in Invasion of Time (far from perfect mind you but I can accept it, as long as its better than IVT). But they aren't the only good villains here: Chessene and Shockeye upstage the Sontarans I'd say. She even manages to outwit and defeat them.

Add in some nice location work and the Troughton conversion into an Androgum (the restaurant scenes are a highlight) and you've got a good Story.
You alluded to it and i maintain the same theory that Troughton and Baker were wasted in this story. Writer Robert Holmes seemed to find Chessene the most interesting character rather then making a big deal about two Doctors interacting.

Troughton was so good working alongside the brash Pertwee in the Three Doctors that it felt a grave error of judgment not to have him bicker and banter with Colin who is the brashest Doctor of them all.