View Single Post
Old 11th January 2019, 02:00 PM
Cult Master

January 11th, 1999 - the first episode of the first series - 'Welcome To Royston Vasey' - is broadcast on BBC2

Who can forget that initial pre-credit sequence, setting the scene for the horrors to come!

SCENE 1. EXT. COUNTRYSIDE. DAY.

WE SEE A TRAIN RUNNING THROUGH IDYLLIC HILLS AND FIELDS.

WOMAN (V.O):
Dear Benjamin, we’re so glad you are coming to stay with us, if only for the night.

SCENE 2. INT. TRAIN. DAY.

BENJAMIN DENTON SITS READING A LETTER.

WOMAN (V.O):
I hope you and your friend enjoy your hiking holiday, and don’t find our little town too boring.

BENJAMIN BEGINS TO LOOK ANNOYED.

WOMAN (V.O):
We’ve never camped, as Uncle Harvey doesn’t get on with chemical toilets.

BENJAMIN LOOKS ACROSS AND WE SEE AN OLD LADY SAT NEXT TO HIM, READING BENJAMIN’S LETTER OUT LOUD.

BENJAMIN:
Excuse me, do you mind? This is private!

TRAIN DRIVER (ANNOUNCEMENT):
Now approaching Royston Vasey. Royston Vasey next stop.

BENJAMIN RETRIEVES HIS BAG FROM THE OVERHEAD COMPARTMENT.

SCENE 3. EXT. MOORS. DAY.

A YOUNG MAN, MARTIN, DRESSED IN HIKING GEAR, WALKS DOWN A PATH. HE SEES A SIGN THAT READS ‘WELCOME TO ROYSTON VASEY – YOU’LL NEVER LEAVE!’ HE LOOKS AROUND AND SEES A LOCAL SHOP NEARBY. HE WALKS TOWARDS IT.

SCENE 4. EXT. STREET. DAY.

BENJAMIN SITS ON A BENCH. HE CHECKS HIS WATCH. A PINK TAXI PULLS UP, AND HE STANDS, READY TO GET IN. HE PUTS HIS RUCKSACK IN THE BOOT. THIS IS BARBARA’S TAXI.

BARBARA:
Where to, pal?

BENJAMIN:
Swanmills Estate, please.

BENJAMIN GETS IN THE TAXI AND IT DRIVES AWAY.

BARBARA:
Right-o!

SCENE 5. INT. TAXI, DAY.

WE SEE BARBARA DRIVING FROM BEHIND. ALTHOUGH SHE HAS A MAN’S VOICE, SHE IS DRESSED IN A RED DRESS AND HAS LONG BROWN HAIR.

BARBARA:
Are you here for work or pleasure?

BENJAMIN:
Pleasure I suppose. I’m staying with relatives and then I’m going hiking with a friend.

BARBARA:
Oh, it’s a nice part of town is Swanmills. Lovely shops.

BEAT.

It’s where I get my dresses from.

BENJAMIN LOOKS TOWARDS BARBARA’S FEET. WE SEE SHE IS WEARING STILLETO HEELS BUT HAS THE HAIRY LEGS OF A MAN. AS SHE CHANGES GEAR, WE SEE A MAN’S ARM COVERED IN GOLD JEWELLERY.

The good thing is, they know me there now. I couldn’t go into Dorothy Perkins once my bust started showing.

BENJAMIN:
Oh…

CLOSE UP ON BARBARA’S NECK. SHE HAS A VERY HAIRY CHEST AND WEARS A NECKLACE THAT READS ‘BARBARA’.

BARBARA:
I’ve only been on the hormones eighteen months, my nipples are like bullets!

BENJAMIN SITS UP, LOOKING VERY WORRIED INDEED.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty