View Single Post
Old 11th February 2019, 08:37 PM
Seasoned Cultist

I re-watched a couple of Hinchcliffe Stories that I didn't appreciate a lot the last time I saw them. The Ark in Space and The Sontaran Experiment.

I think The Ark in Spaces one weakness is that its final Episode isn't as good as the other three. It feels rushed somewhat and I prefer Noah as he gradually transforms into a Wirrn (yes its bubble wrap, but the actor sells it with his performance, something not possible once its a full on Wirrn suit).

But the first three Episodes are quite something, especially the first one. Overall its the she start of a great era and arguably the best TARDIS crew: Baker by this point has already got his performance nailed down, Sladen is good as ever and Marter just fits in perfectly. Great chemistry all round. Yes the Wirrn costumes might look dated (even back then) but the idea behind it is solid. The Wirrn are a frightening concept: several wasp species are similar in nature. 9/10. Better on re-watch.

Sadly its not the same with The Sontaran Experiment. Don't get me wrong: its starts out brilliantly for most of the first Episode but it just falls apart when Styre gets involved with the worst plan the Sontarans have ever had. Earth is practically empty, with "no intelligent species"... So why waste time experimenting on the humans?!? Attack immediately and just colonise the place.

3/10. A Story so thin that you can almost see Genesis of the Daleks through it. The usual TARDIS crew along with the good atmosphere at the start give it some marks though, otherwise it'd have been a 0.