View Single Post
Old 28th February 2019, 03:32 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

The Legend of the 7 Golden Vampires (1974)

I'm sorry but i just can't generate much love for this Hammer / Shaw Brothers co-production. The plot, if there even is one, is just an excuse for a series of fights between Van Helsing's traveling party and the 7 golden vampires from the film's title. Yup! That's pretty much it a series of near identical martial art combat sequences broken up by Peter Cushing, Julie Ege and Robin Stewart's exposition.

As a Hammer film it's a poor excuse and was made solely for the ailing company to break into the Asian market but it's also lacking as a classic Run Run Shaw film too.

It is often classed as the ninth Dracula film but sadly Christopher Lee is absent altogether so we have to make do with a dubbed look alike in John Forbes-Robertson.

I can see that fans of Hong Kong cinema will enjoy this more than me who found it completely uninvolving and lacking in everything that Hammer are famous for. One look at the UK quad poster should tell you all you need to know as both Cushing and Julie Ege are conspicuous by their absence.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 9d256f0c-b09f-4b57-af55-0d9b1fe0314c.jpeg (68.5 KB, 7 views)