Thread: EXTREME METAL
View Single Post
Old 8th March 2019, 06:26 AM
Cult Master

Singapore Authorities Cancel Watain Show On Religious Grounds | Kerrang

"Fans have been left disappointed after Singapore authorities cancelled a Watain show last minute over concerns about the band being Satanists.

The Swedish black metallers’ gig was meant to take place today (March 7) at the EBX Live Space, but the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) decided it should not go ahead.

The Infocomm Media Development Authority (IMDA) originally had concerns over Watain playing in Singapore, and told the band the show could only go ahead if they removed songs deemed to be religiously offensive from the set list. They also banned them from making references to religion or using religious symbols onstage.

But then the MHA decided it should be cancelled completely.

“I spent so much money to get here,” one fan told Channel NewsAsia. “We are just disappointed, that’s it. [Watain’s] music changed my life. I wake up in the morning and I have new spirit for working. It’s like somebody stabbed me in the back.”

Another gig-goer, added: “I don’t know where people get this idea that the people who listen to heavy metal are aggressive or that we worship Satan.

“Ask anyone in the scene. We are merely cat lovers coming together to enjoy good music...The worst part of it all is that the guys have been promoting this show for months with approval… this is just plain ridiculous.”"

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty