View Single Post
Old 19th March 2019, 10:35 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Last week's viewings:

Night School (1981)

Reminiscent of a giallo in it's aesthetic in many ways, Night School is a who-dunnit cum slasher as co-eds are being found decapitated at the hands (and blade) of a mysterious black-clad biker.

Good kill-y fun.

71/100

Body Snatchers (1993)

Ferrara's take on the infamous tale, and whilst not quite as good as either the '56 or the '78 versions I really like the claustrophobic dread that this one exhibits with it being confined to the military base for the bulk of the run-time.

79/100

The Hidden (1987)

This one has it all - an asshole Ferrari loving alien bug inhabiting and using human bodies, car chases, shoot-outs, strip clubs, Kyle MacLachlan's first dangerous step towards being typecast forever as an FBI agent, and a flamethrower.

One of my favourite fun, feel-good '80s films.

82/100

The Editor (2014)

Stylish, glossy giallo-inspired comedy that hit a lot of the right targets for me. Parodies / homages can often feel a little clunky or heavy-handed, but this for the most part was very good.

73/100

The Legacy (1978)

Sam Elliott and Katharine Ross star as architects brought to a secluded estate by an eccentric millionaire after a road accident. They and other guests become trapped, leading to a series of grisly deaths with supernatural undertones.

Whilst stretching the seams of the story at times, this is a pretty entertaining and mysterious little chiller with a decent ensemble cast.

71/100

The Dark Crystal (1982)

A nostalgia trip back to my childhood when I used to watch this all the time with my brother. A little of the charm is lost with age (mine, not the film's), but this was an enjoyable slice of Saturday afternoon entertainment.

71/100

Labyrinth (1986)

Another childhood fave, but one whose charm hasn't been diminished on me over time. Perfect lazy Sunday afternoon entertainment.

89/100

Last edited by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs; 20th March 2019 at 07:37 AM.