View Single Post
Old 16th April 2019, 10:35 AM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Cannibal Women in the Avocado Jungle of Death (1989)

A wonderfully absurd spoof on Heart of Darkness / Apocalypse Now that's a delight from beginning to end. The plot is nuts, as an example i'll just put it out there that i didn't realise there was an Avocado jungle just outside San Bernadino , California, that was home to a tribe of Piranha women who sacrifice and eat men.

Yet it's all done so well, the three main actors - Shannon Tweed, Bill Maher and Karen Mistal - have a ball as does Adrienne Barbeau (in the Brando role) as Dr. Kurtz, who went out in to the Avocado Jungle and was never seen again.

The film references pop culture galore, from Indiana Jones and Star Wars to Disneyland and even Kurosawa, as the film keeps the blend of tongue in cheek humour and clever satire to the fore throughout and unlike the majority of films of this ilk, never loses the plot or substitutes action for layered humour unlike for example the Police Academy films which can't seem to maintain the satire and laughs when the action packed finales kick in.
Gonna order this after reading this review i was always curious but expected it to be dreadful.