View Single Post
Old 18th June 2019, 06:43 PM
Cult Master

June 18th, 1967

The Who perform at The Monterey International Pop Festival in Monterey, California. Pete confronts Jimi Hendrix before the show and demands The Who hit the stage before he does since Hendrix will also smash his guitar. If they follow him the crowd will think The Who are stealing Hendrix's act even though they were the ones who originated it. Hendrix plays his guitar and coolly ignores Pete. John Phillips of The Mamas and The Papas finally decides it with a coin toss.

The Who will play first but despite this, They face another disadvantage Hendrix does not. Their penny-pinching managers have sent them to the festival with rented equipment and amplifiers incapable of conveying the power of their act. Their performance is spotty but no one forgets the ending of "My Generation" with Pete and Keith engaging in a riotous instrument bust-up captured by D.A. Pennebaker's cameras and later featured in the movies Monterey Pop and The Kids Are Alright

After the show The Who hang out with Mama Cass who ply them with the best of the Bay Area's hallucinogens. Hendrix sets his guitar on fire and smashes it leading Cass to tell Pete, "He's stealing your act!" Pete replies, "No, he's not stealing my act, he's doing my act."

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty