View Single Post
Old 22nd June 2019, 06:37 AM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
No reason to trust any review.

I only mentioned it because Susan also posts reviews and scores for gigs and releases
You saying you don't trust me?

Thst's nice, I must say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Just looked in the latest Kerrang! (Download review issue)

The Vampires album gets 3 K's. Pretty average really.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SymbioticFunction View Post
Not sure that I trust a Kerrang score.
Some previous Kerrang reviews

Zipper Catches Skin: November 4th, 1982 - Dave Dickson - No number rating, but: "...I suspect Vincent Furnier has lost all control over the monster that is Alice, and, unleashed, the creature appears to be floundering aimlessly without much idea how to use his freedom. A return to 'The Inside', Vincent, would probably do you and Alice the world of good."

Da Da: December 15th, 1983 - Neil Jeffries - No number rating, but "...With further spinning, this could well become a latter day A.C. classic because 'Da Da' already sounds better than anything he's done in yonks. Thank goodness for Alice!!!"

Raise Your Fist And Yell: October 17th, 1987 - Chris Welsh - 4/5 "Dealing more directly with the music, one finds this is a powerful piece of work that Alice rightly considers to be his best in years. Certainly the guitar work by Kane Roberts is packed with string grinding power, and Alice summons every ounce of bile and ire as he soap boxes about 'Give The Radio Back' and threatens 'You're in my way' on 'Step On You'. 'Hello my little pretty, don't we look yeuk!' he slobbers on 'Not That Kind Of Love'."

The Life And Crimes: May 8th, 1999 - 4/5 "but, let's face it, this box set lark is purely for the ardent fan. Nobody's realistically going to fork out a fistful of tenners for an introduction to an artist they don't know - they're gonna a buy a greatest hits album from the bargain bin. And when you get down to assessing the actual music, the rarities/demos content here could be shoved onto a single CD, which is something of a disappointment."

Brutal Planet: June 17th, 2000 - Steve Beebee - 2/5 "These plodding, self-parodying rockers crawl Manson's shadow and are supposedly 'linked' around one theme: that the world is sometimes unpleasant. Not exactly a revelation. The production is glossy enough, but only the sample-infected 'Blow Me A Kiss' - co-written with old Cooper and Kiss cohort Bob Ezrin - exceeds the average. Sadly, the type of mechanical animals Alice Cooper has been left with are the ones with flat batteries."

The Eyes Of Alice Cooper: September 27th, 2003 - Paul Travers - 4/5 "There's no 'Under My Wheels' on here, but 'Man of the Year' and 'What do you want from me' come close and, as the band rip through this funny, raw and sneering collection it soon becomes clear that this is the best AC album in years."

As for the Vampires, I stand by my comments from a few years ago when the project was first announced. In my opinion, they are no more than a gimmick band consisting of one TRUE legend (Alice), one rock hero (Joe [be honest tho, how well known is he outside of Aerosmith?]) and one failed actor (Johnny [I would suggest he hasn't made a good film since 'The Corpse Bride' in 2005]).

I will probably get the 'Rise' album at some point, but I'm willing to wait until it ends up being sold cheap in a charity shop!

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty