View Single Post
Old 25th June 2019, 02:23 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
Despite the superb cast and involvement of Neil Gaiman as principal writer and showrunner, I was a bit uncertain about what to expect from the TV adaptation of Good Omens only because it's a book which everyone seems to read differently, with their own ideas of what the characters look and sound like, and the frequent footnotes don't seem to lend themselves to a visual experience.

I didn't have worried. The idea to create a new character (the Voice of God) was a stroke of genius which helps integrate those footnotes into the narrative and the miniseries (watched in one day) is not only coherent, but involving, funny, perfectly cast, and something I look forward to watching again.

If you have Prime Video, I recommend binge watching the miniseries, treating it as one six-hour film. If not, it is scheduled for broadcast on BBC and may be available on iPlayer so the same can be done via that streaming service.

I finished watching the third and fourth seasons of Nikita which didn't have the dramatic tension of the first because the antagonist isn't as well developed, and the setting just doesn't lend itself to a suspense-filled spy thriller as the setup in the first series. That said, the interactions between the characters and the various missions are engaging enough and I like the way the series ended.

I'm currently three quarters of the way through the first season of Stranger Things, a show I've had on my Netflix list since before it was broadcast and somehow haven't managed to watch before now. I am really enjoying it and will probably go straight onto the second season after watching the final two episodes. The story is engaging and moving, the use of music from the era is great, and the child actors have been very well chosen.

It's funny how this has the same sort of feeling as the recent It film, if only for the period setting, a small town location, and a group of children around the same age being the principal protagonists.
Stranger Things shares one of the child actors (Finn Wolfhard) with the It remake and when you watch the second series you may start to notice more similarities too Nos.

Last edited by J Harker; 25th June 2019 at 04:43 PM.