View Single Post
Old 25th June 2019, 07:20 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Just rewatched Fear Her for the first time in ages.

Its far from the worst. Its not even "that" bad. Don't get me wrong, it just barely makes it over the line to be classed as average, but one of the all time worst? No way.

10 and Rose work well together as always (and that's an issue with Jodie and co: had it been the current TARDIS crew this would have been hard to get through). The idea behind the Story is a good one, albeit one which could have been executed a lot better. One of the highlights was the drawing of Chloe's dad coming to life: I'd like to have seen more of that, drawings killing people and being a threat. Not just humans, but potentially anything from Chloe's imagination... Or even, maybe she could have somehow got into the Doctors mind, seeing all that he's seen, allowing her to draw Drashigs, Zygons, Macra etc, as well as the big monsters like the Daleks or Cybermen (even if they're both an episode away). I just find the concept of that to be amazing, drawings of old enemies coming to life as opposed to that scribble monster thing that barely does anything.

I LOVED the ending, where the Doctor basically finishes the Olympics. Overall, its just a 6/10, with the final 5 minutes, 10/Rose and the Story saving it from being below average with a 5 or lower. As brief as the actual threat was in this Story with the drawing coming to life at the end, at least this was some kind of threat due to the direction and build up. Certainly more threatening than anything from Series 11.

I haven't ranked anything from Series 1-2 as being less than a 6/10 and I already know 3 and 4 will be the same having seen them a lot (Series 2 was the one I re watched the least, aside from the finale). RTD was a genius as showrunner. The most consistent the show has ever been since Barry Letts and Terrance Dicks were producer/head writer.