View Single Post
Old 30th June 2019, 06:31 AM
Cult Master

Doctor Who over the years: Episode quotes
The Twin Dilemma – Part 1
(The newly regenerated Doctor is showing off his new face.)
The Doctor: Well, Peri, what do you think?
Peri: It's terrible.
The Doctor: Oh, never mind about the clothes, they're easily changed. What about me?
Peri: I meant you.
The Doctor: Sorry? I'm afraid I don't understand.
Peri: Well, neither do I. I mean, people don't change like that. I mean, physically, just in a flash.
The Doctor: I'm not people, Peri. I happen to be me.
Peri: But why?
The Doctor: Natural metamorphosis. A form of rebirth. I call it a renewal, and this time, positive triumph. I can sense it in every fibre of my being.
Peri: Have you the faintest idea what you look like?
The Doctor: My outward appearance is of no importance whatsoever.
Peri: Well, it is to me. I have to live with it. (She goes through his jacket pockets and finds a mirror compact.) Here, look at yourself.
The Doctor: Very well, if you insist.
Peri: What do you see?
The Doctor: Ah. A noble brow. Clear gaze. At least it will be, given a few hours sleep. A firm mouth. A face beaming with a vast intelligence. My dear child, what on Earth are you complaining about? (He gives her the mirror back.) It's the most extraordinary improvement.
Peri: On what?
The Doctor: My last incarnation. I was never happy with that one.
Peri: Why ever not?
The Doctor: It had a sort of feckless charm, which simply wasn't me.
(The Doctor goes into the Tardis interior.)
Peri: Oh, what absolute rubbish! You were almost young. I really liked you. And you were sweet and
The Doctor: Sweet? Effete. Sweet? Sweet? Sweet? Huh, that says it all. Oh, but this has been a timely change. Change. What change? There is no change. No rhyme, no time. (The Doctor starts to cringe amongst a rack of clothes.) No place for space. Nothing. Nothing but the grinding engines of the universe, the crushing boredom of eternity. (The Doctor has recovered from his momentary breakdown and is looking through various outfits. He picks out Patrick Troughton's fur coat.) Hmm? No.
(He throws it down and picks up a red velvet jacket a la Jon Pertwee.)
Peri: Are you sure you're all right?
The Doctor: My dear child, stop worrying. Try to understand. Regeneration in my case is a swift but volcanic experience. A kind of violent biological eruption in which the body cells are displaced, changed, renewed and rearranged. (He tries on the jacket then discards it.) There are bound to be side-effects.
Peri: It won't happen again?
(The Doctor flexes his biceps and sucks in his tummy in front of a cheval mirror.)
The Doctor: Hmm? Oh, may indeed, but each time with diminishing effect. You have nothing to fear.
Peri: Well, next time I'm not going to look.
The Doctor: Well, if you find it so upsetting, that would be the most sensible thing to do. Ah ha!
(He finds a multicoloured jacket on another rail.)
The Twin Dilemma – Part 2
Peri: This is madness. You've no idea where we're going.
The Doctor: To our destiny.
Peri: Can't we rest? Our destiny can wait a moment.
The Doctor: Peri, quickly. Now what did I tell you? Listen.
Peri: Machinery. Oh, let's get out of here.
The Doctor: The perpetual cry of all cowards. We must investigate.
Peri: But, do you think that wise? There could be enormous danger, even worse.
The Doctor: Worse? Yes. Yes, well, perhaps you're right. The purpose of reconnaissance, after all, is to gather information, not to finish up face down in a pool on one's own blood. Especially blood as noble as mine. We've found out what we want to know.
Peri: There is one thing, though.
The Doctor: What?
Peri: The children Lieutenant Lang mentioned.
The Doctor: Yes. Yes, of course, but, well, children are such survivors. Besides, we have only the words of a delirious man that there are any children.
Peri: If you didn't believe him, what are we doing here?
The Doctor: An unthinking act of foolish bravado. You know my current state of mind.
Peri: Don't you think we should just look, just in case?
The Doctor: No, Peri. Discretion is always the better part of valour. We should return to the Tardis and rethink the situation.
Peri: If that's what you want. (The Doctor scurries off, then the Jacondans arrive and point guns at Peri.) Doctor?
The Doctor: Whatever is it now? Aliens? No, no. No, no, don't shoot. It's not my fault. I'm just a poor pilgrim. It's all her fault. Mercy, mercy, mercy. Don't shoot me. Don't shoot me.
The Twin Dilemma – Part 3
(The Doctor appears briefly then disappears again.)
Peri: Did you see that?
Lang: I think so.
Peri: Doctor, are you here?
Lang: What in heaven's name is going on? You're flesh and blood, at least.
Peri: Leave me alone.
(The Doctor materialises in front of the scanner. There is no one else present.)
The Doctor: That stupid girl's watch. How I hate these hit or miss performances.
(He adjusts some console controls then appears in the same time frame as Peri and Lang, stroking his cat like he was when he first transmatted from the base.)
Peri: Oh, Doctor, thank heavens! Whatever happened?
The Doctor: Your watch stopped. I over-compensated, ended up in the wrong time zone, ten seconds into your future.
Peri: I thought you'd been killed.
The Doctor: You cared?
Peri: Of course I did.
The Doctor: You know, I'll never understand the people of Earth. I have spent the day using, abusing, even trying to kill you. If you'd have behaved as I have, I should have been pleased at your demise.
Peri: It's called compassion, Doctor. It's the difference that remains between us.
The Doctor: Earthlings.
The Twin Dilemma – Part 4
Peri: Did you have to be so rude?
The Doctor: To whom?
Peri: Hugo. You could at least have said goodbye. (The time rotor starts moving and the Doctor heads for the inner door, sighing.) Are you having another of your fits?
The Doctor: You may not believe this, but I have fully stabilised.
Peri: Then I suggest you take a crash course in manners.
The Doctor: You seem to forget, Peri, I'm not only from another culture but another planet. I am, in your terms, an alien. I am therefore bound to different values and customs.
Peri: Your former self was polite enough.
The Doctor: At such a cost. I was on the verge of becoming neurotic.
Peri: We all have to repress our feelings from time to time. I suggest you get back into the habit.
The Doctor: And I would suggest, Peri, that you wait a little before criticising my new persona. You may well find it isn't quite as disagreeable as you think.
Peri: Well, I hope so.
The Doctor: Whatever else happens, I am the Doctor, whether you like it or not.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty