View Single Post
Old 14th July 2019, 03:19 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default Batman, Episode 9 - Zelda the Great

Zelda.jpgvlcsnap-00071.jpg

While watching the box set of the tv series, the one thing which I do now realise is how many of these episodes I have not seen before. And this is mainly down to the fact that regional television stations on what was ITV and in my area HTV, were so damn hit or miss with what they showed back then, and certainly, the scheduling of shows was very erratic at the time...I say this because I can not ever recall seeing this episode of Zelda The Great or the follow up episode A Death Worse Than Fate..Anne Baxter is this episodes villainess, portraying a rather glam magician and escapologist who has all her tricks made by for some reason an Albanian called Eivol Ekdal ( Jack Kruschen) ...Only one problem Zelda has to rob a bank every so often to pay for her contraptions, otherwise Ekdal won't make her any more. This has to be the weakest excuse for a crime your ever likely to hear, why she could not find someone else is beyond me. And while Zelda is not the most exciting of villains, Baxter does give it her all, and of course, manages to worm her way into Batmans good books. Mind you she's not all sugar and spice, as she does hang Aunt Harriet over a pot of boiling oil while she sits there doing her knitting and has an annoying habit of breaking the fourth wall like I care what she's up to...Bruce Wayne and Dick Grayson has also taken up stargazing, makes a change from bird watching,bass fishing and playing the piano badly...