Thread: Cinema Memories
View Single Post
Old 4th August 2019, 05:50 PM
Cult Master

Default Cinema Memories

Inspired by comments made in the 'Top Ten Tuesday' thread...what films have you seen at the cinema?

I don't mean this week, this month or even this year

I mean what movies (good, bad or subsequently released by 88Films) have you seen in the past, either on original release or as a re-release and what memories or anecdotes do you have?

In the 70's, I saw:
  • Chitty Chitty Bang Bang – This was released in 1968, so I must have seen it a few years later as a re-release. I have vivid memories of hiding on the floor of the cinema everytime the Child Catcher was on screen
  • Paint Your Wagon – Another title I must have seen as a re-release. I was too young to get the risque humor in the film
  • The Love Bug
  • Jaws – I saw this on original release in 1975, and the 'head in the boat' scene sewed the seeds for my love of all things horror. Strangely enough, before this film, I was a very timid child, who had to be taken out of the classroom whenever the teacher read the story of the Three Billy Goats Gruff!
  • Star Wars – Another original release viewing, and the opening scene with the star destroyer blew me away
  • Damnation Alley – I remember the cockroaches. Perfect the the cinema in Wincester I saw the film in!
  • Grizzly
  • The Giant Spider Invasion
  • Superman – Another original release viewing. Sadly, I couldn't fly when I left the cinema, although I did try
  • Monty Python And The Holy Grail
  • Monty Python: The Life Of Brian
  • 2001: A Space Odyssey – Didn't understand it then, don't understand it now!
  • Grease
  • Jason And The Argonauts
  • The Rocky Horror Picture Show

In the 80's I saw
  • Airplane
  • The Blues Brothers – It was a flop at the time, and the cinema was almost empty
  • The Elephant Man
  • Day Of The Dead – Another viewing with only about half a dozen people in the auditorium
  • The Evil Dead and Evil Dead 2 – Midnight movie double bill
  • Aliens
  • Predator
  • Die Hard
  • Beetlejuice
  • Fatal Attraction
  • Pink Floyd: The Wall
  • This Is Spinal Tap
  • Breaking Glass
  • Time Bandits
  • Labyrinth
  • Hellraiser

In the 90's I saw
  • Army Of Darkness
  • Se7en – When I left the cinema, there were three things I wanted to do: 1) Go straight back in and see it again 2) Go and get blind drunk and 3) Go home and have a hot shower to wash the grimy feeling away
  • Scream – Really scary at the cinema!
  • Reservoir Dogs – Gosport was the only cinema in Hampshire which showed this on original release
  • All four of the Batman films
  • Texas Chainsaw & The Exorcist on re-release
  • Crash
  • Ed Wood
  • Schindler's List – A harrowing experience
  • Showgirls
  • Terminator 2
  • Trainspotting
  • Silence Of The Lambs
  • Kids
There was an arthouse cinema in Portsmouth which was attached to the University and I saw
  • Man Bites Dog
  • Tetsuo 1 & 2
  • Leolo
  • Accione Mutante
  • Henry: Portrait Of A Serial Killer

In the 00's I saw
  • Last House On The Left – Southampton Council granted the film an uncut '18' certificate before it was released on DVD in a cut version by Anchor Bay on 2002

More will be added when I remember them

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty