View Single Post
Old 13th August 2019, 08:54 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I haven't posted a review for a while,
But 2 films I've seen recently feels the need I should .

Calibre on Netflix I went into this blind, let's just say if not seen this its a must, good old fashioned film making on how films should be made, its draws you in etc.
Its bleak and grim, about 2 friends who go hunting up Scotland but has the usual cliche some locals are welcoming some aren't, all goes wrong when they shoot a child by accident then its all goes downhill for them from there, I'd put it up there as one of the best films I've seen in recent years, if you think of the French films Ordeal and Frontiers then you're on the right lines of this being the British equivalent.

Pihu again on Netflix , for those who are criticizing this are missing the point of the film, its like the film Buried there is only one person in it a 2yr old the rest is voices ,
So exactly how exciting do you except a film with just one person in it to be ?

it all about highlighting the dangers lurking around the house that can easily harm a child and how easy it is for them to get into dangerous situations, like almost hanging over the balcony because she dropped her doll over it, the child's parent don't get on and her father is away working and the mother has topped herself by taking a overdose and the child is all alone, its starts of from when the child wakes up and the things a two year does when they are playing, or hungry, or trying to wake her mum up. Certain points of the film certainly have you on edge like when the child climbs inside the fridge, worth seeking out .

Director Vinod Kapri said that the idea behind making the film was the question of "what does a toddler do when she is left alone at home?" He also based it on a real life incident that he read in 2014 in a national daily about a four-year-old girl who was left alone at home. He decided to have minimal dialogues in the film, wanted the story to depend on "how the girl behaves", and felt that "every shooting schedule [was] unpredictable.According to him, the film explores issues faced by married couples, and compulsions about the concepts of family and children. Kapri spent four months with the child, getting to know her and familiarise her with the other crew members.

Though the girl had never acted before, Kapri is close friends with her parents, so they agreed for her to act on this project.The film was shot for two hours a day with three cameras placed on the set since Kapri felt "you can’t ask a two-year-old to give another take. Kapri made some changes in the script based on Myra's behavioral patterns. For two months, Myra moved to the flat that was rented for shoot.Kapri had to wait for six months after he had finalised Myra for the film due to production issues. Later, his friend Kishen Kumar came on board as a producer. With a budget of ₹45 lakh (US$65,000), they started shooting the film, but Kumar suffered a cardiac arrest and Kapri had to again seek help for the film's post-production budget

Last edited by gag; 13th August 2019 at 09:20 PM.