View Single Post
Old 29th August 2019, 04:17 PM
Cult Addict

Forbidden Zone

A strange one to be sure, a low budget art film/musical /comedy that appears to be made by a bunch of art and theatre students hopped up on speed/weed and LSD.

Directed by Richard Elfman, brother of Danny (Tim Burton's composer/Nightbreed/ Darkman etc..who also appears as Satan in this film.) and featuring that psycho dwarf from 'The man with the golden gun'.

This is a film i really want to love, it's just all over the place and a total mess but the sheer insanity makes it endearing to me, but i just can't get totally on board with it, seeming as though they set out to make a cult film but there is not enough that clicks to make it work.

Certain parts i really like but most are random,(the boxers tune with the overlaid mouth of the singer) and i kind of like the character Frenchie, but many scenes are too chaotic or juvenile that they just induce a headache.

It's one i'll keep and go back to again, who knows maybe someday i'll get my head round it, it's definitely of interest to lovers of bizarre films.

But for now it's just filed under interesting failure in my mind.

A mixed-up goofball 5/10

(I think i entered the Forbidden Zone editing this post, ah well... it is what it is.)

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.