View Single Post
Old 5th September 2019, 05:27 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Just thought i'd share a memory of Terrance Dicks.

met Terrance at Liverpool's Nebula convention in 1991.

My mate and i chatted to him for quite a while at the bar and multiple rounds were drunk until the three of us were basically pissed bar fly's.

Don't ask what we talked about as i haven't got a clue.

Back then you could actually socialize with guests rather than have to pay £25 to get an autograph. So whilst crowds flocked round the likes of Sylvester McCoy, Paul Darrow, Michael Keating (It was a joint convention with Blakes-7), Anthony Ainley and Mary Tamm, those behind the camera were a lot easier to chat to one to one.

For the evening cabaret we had seats round a table with Paul Darrow, Michael Keating and their better halves. The thing is we didn't know that at the time. The cabaret's were performed by the stars themselves so mate and i (still pissed from drinking with Terrance earlier and continuing to drink even more as the night wore on) thought it would be funny to lightly heckle the performers, especially Darrow and Keating as they did a double act. The two women at our table found our banter less funny though. It wasn't insulting at all, just gentle (ish) ribbing. Then low and behold both Darrow and Keating sat down at our table following their spot and got told all by their better halves...Damn! i can't remember ever sobering up so quick in my life. Total embarrassment. Still no offence was taken and everyone heckled Anthony Ainley when he came on stage.