View Single Post
Old 2nd February 2010, 12:52 PM
Active Cultist
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye View Post
The problem is though, that the younger generation will probably think it's a new fresh film and either dismiss it as run-of-the-mill fodder, unaware that it is based upon one of the first, and the best slasher films ever to be made or hype it up as an original and amazing piece of work... as is my experience with these things.

For instance the girl who cuts my hair was under the impression that Rob Zombie's H2 was a completely original film and was totally oblivious to the entire Halloween franchise... I almost wept.

To be fair, she's not a horror fan (so I didn't kill her this time ), but you just have to go over to a forum like Bloody Disgusting and look at what young horror fans are listing as their 'favourite horrors of all time' ... you certainly need a strong stomach The amount of times films like the Saws, Rob Zombie efforts and Hostel and its many spin-offs are listed... Many younger horro fans don't seem to have a clue about the genre defining classics; I just think that when they remake some of these classics they need to pay homage to the classic originals more, otherwise they get swept under the carpet and the new generation don't know that they are even there...
When the remake of Hills Have Eyes came out the editor of Cinema Sewer magazine did a straw poll of viewers at a multiplex in New York and something like 85% of those going to see it didn't know it was a remake . Of those who did know it was, the majority had never seen it and had no intention of seeing it.