View Single Post
Old 25th November 2019, 05:32 AM
Cult Master

Doctor Who over the years: Episode quotes
The Woman Who Lived
The Doctor: Oh, don't mind me, don't mind me. I'm only going to be a minute. Don't worry. Oh, very warm.
Highwayman: What are you doing?
The Doctor: Oh, just ignore me, I'm just passing through, like fish in the night.
Highwayman: This is a robbery!
The Doctor: It's not fish in the night, it's something else.
(The Doctor gets out of the coach and closes the door.)
Highwayman: This is my robbery.
The Doctor: No, ships in the night. Yeah, something like that.
Highwayman: Step aside or I shall blow your brains out.
The Doctor: Sorry, were you talking to me there? Try again. I promise I'll listen this time.
Highwayman: You have interrupted my robbery, sir, and you will step away, if you wish to take another breath.
Coachman: You're going to get us all killed, if you don't shut your mouth.
The Doctor: Sorry. Sorry, I really was planning to listen that time but, basically, I didn't

The Doctor: Oh, Ashildr, I'm sorry.
Ashildr: Who's Ashildr?
The Doctor: You are. That's your name. Ashildr, daughter of Einarr. Chuckles. I used to call him Chuckles. Do you remember?
Ashildr: Yes. I think I remember the village.
The Doctor: You loved that village.
Ashildr: If you say so.
The Doctor: Anyone in that village would have died for you.
Ashildr: Well, they're all dead now, and here I am. So, I guess it all worked out.
The Doctor: Ashildr.
Ashildr: That's not my name. I don't even remember that name.
The Doctor: Well, what, what, what do you call yourself?
Ashildr: Me.
The Doctor: Yes, you. There's nobody else here.
Ashildr: No. I call myself Me. All the other names I chose died with whoever knew me. Me is who I am now. No one's mother, daughter, wife. My own companion. Singular. Unattached. Alone.

Ashildr: I've had eight hundred years of adventure, enough to fill a library if you write it down.
(The Doctor picks up a crown from a table.)
The Doctor: A medieval queen? How exciting.
Ashildr: You'd think. It was paperwork and backgammon mainly, as I recall. Ended up faking my own death. Did a bunk before the evisceration. (Memories of her getting out of her coffin and climbing out of a window.) Now this was much more my thing. (She hands him a longbow, and remembers stealing the clothes of a soldier so she could join the line of troops heading to battle.) The Battle of Agincourt. My first stint as a man. No-one will ever know that a mere woman helped end the Hundred Years' War.
The Doctor: You're immortal, not indestructible. You can be hurt, killed even.
(He twangs the bowstring.)
Ashildr: Ten thousand hours is all it takes to master any skill. Over over a hundred thousand hours and you're the best there's ever been. I don't need to be indestructible, I'm superb. You should have seen me. I could shoot six arrows a minute. I got so close to the enemy, I penetrated armour.
The Doctor: How many people have you killed?
Ashildr: You'll have to check my diaries.
The Doctor: You can't remember?
Ashildr: For what it's worth, I've saved many lives too.
(Memories of a crowd with pitchforks chanting 'kill the witch.' Ashildr was dragged along with her hands tied, fastened to a ducking stool and dumped into a lake. She somehow swims unnoticed to a bank behind the villagers and gets away unseen.)
Ashildr: I cured an entire village of scarlet fever once, almost got drowned as a witch for my troubles. Fortunately, I'm really good at holding my breath. Ungrateful peasants.
(The Doctor picks up the beaked leather hood of a seventeenth century plague doctor.)
The Doctor: The Black Death, 1348. I meant to warn you.
Ashildr: I got sick, but I got better.

Ashildr: So what's wrong with Clara, then?
The Doctor: There's nothing wrong with her.
Ashildr: Why haven't you made her immortal?
The Doctor: Well, look how you turned out.
Ashildr: She'll die on you, you know. She'll blow away like smoke.
The Doctor: Save your breath.
Ashildr: How old are you, Doctor?
The Doctor: Older than you.
Ashildr: And how many have you lost? How many Claras?

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty