View Single Post
Old 17th December 2019, 07:13 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Catch up time for some of the non-horror films i've watched recently.

Ghost in the Shell (2017)

Merely so-so. For the first half hour i thought this was excellent but then it seemed to get bogged down in stuff and nonsense and by the credits i was only watching it for the excellent cityscapes and street views which were Blade Runner lite. Had Scarlett worn that white catsuit throughout then i'd certainly have paid more attention.

A Simple Favor (2018)

Hitchcockian style thriller in which Anna Kendrick is asked by high flyer Blake Lively to do, well, a simple favour for her, and a web of deceit and blackmail ensues.

I thought this was a hell of a lot of fun. Think Desperate Housewives on acid. Loved the idea of Blake Lively playing against type as an obnoxious bitch, but then i would. Damn! How i hate Ryan Reynolds.

Justice League Dark (2017)

A lack of familiarity with some of the characters prevented me loving this slickly animated film as much as some of the other DC movies, but the breakneck speed of the plot definitely held my attention. Kudos for having John Constantine as a sweary Scouser rather than Keanu Reeves (Haven't seen the series so no idea regarding his accent in that) and several appearances from the mighty Swamp Thing. The rest of the characters, Wonder Woman aside, went straight over my head. Thank heavens for Batman who held it all together.

The Tit and the Moon (1994)

I was hoping for basically A Hairdressers Husband part two, but sadly director Bigas Luna took the film down a more symbolic route than merely simple story telling.

A bit of a disappointment.

The Time Machine (1960)

Lush visuals, excellent special effects and a fascinating storyline which is as much about the small human elements as it is the high concept of time travel make The Time Machine quite simply a timeless classic, if you'll pardon the pun. Take note BBC. This is how to adapt H.G. Wells.

Juliet of the Spirits (1965)

No, sorry. Fellini and i quite simply do not get along. I hated Roma and i hated this. In fact i turned it off which is unprecedented for me. Never again shall our paths cross. I'll stick to Gialli when it comes to Italian cinema.

There's a Cult Films Bd/dvd going cheap in this vicinity.