View Single Post
Old 24th December 2019, 05:53 AM
Cult Master

Doctor Who over the years: Episode quotes
The Witchfinders
Graham: Guys, that's Pendle Hill. We're in Lancashire.
(The posh woman speaks to the crowd assembling on the other bank of the river.)
Becka: People of Bilehurst Cragg, we are forced to meet here once again. Satan stalks this land. We must continue to root him out, and do whatever it takes to save the soul of our village. Let us put the accused to the test.
Willa: Granny...!
Granny: Hush, Willa.
The Doctor: It's a witch trial.
Becka: Old Mother Twiston
The Doctor: Must be early 17th century.
Becka: You stand accused of witchcraft, and shall be tried by my ducking stool, hewn from the mightiest tree on Pendle Hill. If you drown, you are innocent. If you survive, you are a witch, and shall be hanged.
Villager: Duck the witch!

Becka: Now we have no way of knowing if Mother Twiston was a witch or not. Guards, whip these wanderers off this bank, and then seize Willa Twiston. We can take no chances.
The Doctor: Leave her alone. I'd bet my life neither of these women are witches. But you, Mistress Savage are, without question, a murderer.
Becka: Who are you to address me this way?
The Doctor: I'll tell you who I am. (Checks her trouser pockets then turns to search her coat.) Sorry, one sec.
(She hold the psychic paper up to Becka.)
Becka: Witchfinder General?
The Doctor: That's right. Witchfinder General, with my crack team, taking over this village

Becka: Please forgive me, Mistress. If I'd known who you were, I'd have bowed to your authority immediately.
The Doctor: So tell me. Who exactly are you, and what gives you authority here?
Becka: I am Becka Savage, landowner of Bilehurst Cragg. It belonged to my late husband, passed to me when he died. I've tried to be a benevolent leader but it's very difficult in these times, especially for a woman.
The Doctor: If you're the landowner, why are you walking? Where are the horses?
Becka: Horses are banned in Bilehurst. They are creatures of Satan. I had them all shot.

Becka: King James! Your Majesty.
(The Scottish King, 6th of that name, although the First of England.)
James: You may prostrate yourselves before me, God's chosen ruler and Satan's greatest foe come to vanquish the scourge of witchcraft across the land. Forgive the mask. I have enemies everywhere and have to travel incognito. Also, I rather like the drama. What a peculiar ragbag of folks. And those garments. Are you actors?
The Doctor: We're your witchfinders, sire, as we explained to Mistress Savage.
(The Doctor holds out the psychic paper.)
James: Witchfinder's Assistant. (to Graham) So you must be the Witchfinder General.
The Doctor: What?
Becka: No, she said she was.
James: A woman could never be the General.
The Doctor: Silly me. Must've got all confused. Mustn't I, boss?
Graham: Er, yeah, that's me, sire. North West Division, promoted from Essex.
James: And these are your underlings.
Graham: It's a very flat team structure. We all have our areas of expertise.
James: Even the wee lassie?
The Doctor: Even me. Very handy undercover. Set a woman to catch a woman.
James: A cunning ruse, using your innate aptitude for nosiness and gossip. And what is your field of expertise, my Nubian prince?
Ryan: Er...
James: Torture?
Ryan: Me? Er... paperwork mostly, Your Majesty.
James: Paper. How fascinating. We should talk

The Doctor: Honestly, if I was still a bloke, I could get on with the job and not have to waste time defending myself.
James: Oh, you bewitch us with your alluring form and your incessant jabber, but I knew you were unnatural from the very start. And now I see you for what you really are.

James: One final command as your King. Come back to London with me, Ryan. Be my protector.
Ryan: I mean, it's a kind offer, sire, but, er, you know... I've got stuff to do. But I'll keep my eye on you. So you... behave yourself.
Graham: Or else, we will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger.
James: Ezekiel.
Graham: Tarantino.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty