View Single Post
Old 4th January 2020, 08:07 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
In Fabric (2018)

Essentially a psychological horror film with a wicked streak of black humour about a haunted red dress bought from a London department store.

I've loved all of director Peter Strickland's previous films and In Fabric is no exception. It's perhaps funnier than what has come before but it's no less surreal. Often it feels, style wise, like an Italian film from the early seventies, but here the focus is on satirizing consumerism rather than gory murders by black gloved killers.

The colour's of the film are reminiscent of Suspiria with it's gaudy reds and greens and yellows as are the repetitive synth motifs on the soundtrack.

At almost two hours it is about twenty minutes too long and isn't as good on first watch as Katalin Varga, Berberian Sound Studio or The Duke of Burgundy, but it is an intriguing and often beguiling watch and i'm sure more of it's secrets will be revealed on further viewings.
I really enjoyed this great how it felt 100% like some lost 70s film that been rediscovered, give me this over 99% of today's films, love something that strays away from the usual same old same old. That's why I seek films out like this instead of the mainstream stuff. It's was great joy to watch 1 I'd defiantly recommend.