View Single Post
Old 7th February 2020, 01:44 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Big Wednesday (1978) ★★★★

This was a blind buy by me, a film I wouldn't have purchased if it wasn't part of the Premium Collection, and the packaging (artwork and description) gave me the impression it was a movie about surfing. Having watched it, there is a good argument that there is a case for false advertising because this isn't really about surfing, but it's really a film about friendship, growing up, being part of the community, and trying to find your way in life.

Of course, there is surfing and when it comes – in the final act – it's spectacularly filmed and incredibly intense. There is a palpable sense of danger because of the size of the waves and common sense dictates that all of the characters are at risk because of the amount of time left before the end credits will roll.

I love the relationship between the three main characters: Matt, Jack, and Leroy (Jan-Michael Vincent, William Katt, and Gary Busey, respectively) and there were a few moments where I was reminded of American Graffiti in terms of its setting, the music in the first act, and the relationships between the main characters. This is a very good film which I highly recommend, whatever your feelings about surfing.