View Single Post
Old 12th February 2020, 07:19 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Personal Shopper ★★★★★

Quote:
A personal shopper in Paris refuses to leave the city until she makes contact with her twin brother who previously died there. Her life becomes more complicated when a mysterious person contacts her via text message.
This was the first time I have felt that Kristin Stewart delivered a performance befitting that of the lead actress, portraying a three-dimensional character with real depth and someone with whom I was both mentally and emotionally engaged.

The premise of having someone facing their own mortality while grieving the death of their sibling, desiring some form of communication, and for it to be done in a way which is serious about grief, about spirituality, and about how smartphones (and technology in general) have become an integral part of everyday life.

Olivier Assayas has made a psychological horror which doesn't look like a typical genre piece, making the supernatural sequences all the more affecting and unnerving. It's a film which benefits from Stewart's career-best performance, an excellent screenplay and interesting, assured direction.

I thought it was brilliant, a mesmerising film which I hope to buy soon and think will be amongst my favourite films of the decade in years to come.

Last edited by Nosferatu@Cult Labs; 12th May 2020 at 12:08 PM.