View Single Post
Old 18th February 2020, 07:01 AM
Cult Master

Live review

Ol’ Black Eyes Alice Cooper Performs In Melbourne | Noise11

"At 72 Alice Cooper can kick the arse of any musician half his age. Well, maybe not his opening act Airbourne. They kicked everyone’s arse … but that’s another story.

Friday was St Valentines Day. Rock’s favour ghoul celebrated the most romantic way he could, by having his wife chop his head off. Who’s that girl? Who’s that girl? She’s Sheryl. Sheryl Cooper, Alice’s wife of 43 years, has been his decapitator since 1975. In times when Sheryl has been unable to tour, their daughter Calico has filled in.

I first saw Alice Cooper 45 years ago in Sydney and nearly every Australian tour ever since. If I went back 45 years from the first time I saw Alice I’d land in 1930’s Vaudeville. Harry Houdini escaped from a straight-jacket. Alice is still doing it. Maybe not much has changed in 70s, just the technology.

The Alice Cooper setlist is designed to weave a story about building insanity. Right from the tortured soul in ‘Feed My Frankenstein’ who becomes ‘No More Mr Nice Guy’ and loses the off switch in ‘Bed of Nails’ to became the killer in ‘Under My Wheels’ before his life becomes a Nightmare. Each tour has a varied setlist but the story has remained the same for the past 50 years.

The current Alice Cooper band features Nita Strauss, who is apparently a direct descendant of Johann Strauss, Tommy Henriksen, who also plays with Alice’s other band Hollywood Vampires and Ryan Roxie, a graduate of Slash’s Snakepit and on drums Glen Sobel, who is also a member of Hollywood Vampires. They even gave a subtle nod to AC/DC.

An Alice Cooper show audience knows no age. This audience is literally packed from people aged 7 to 70 (and then some). Every Alice Cooper show is a complete theatrical as well as rock experience. Every Alice Cooper show has songs you’ve known for decades but in this case a few deep cuts such as ‘Raped and Freeezin’ and ‘My Stars’ which most of the audience would never have heard live in Australia before.

There is one more show to go in Brisbane.
"

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty