View Single Post
Old 22nd February 2020, 10:40 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Location: Cornwall. The land of Cornish pasties, pixes and Straw Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob4 View Post
Blofeld, a great character? Which one? He was a hand stroking a cat, then played by three different actors in completely different ways and finally dumped unceremoniously down a chimney in a comedy throwaway... nothing great or respectful about that and a demonstration that, although fun, the old franchise was often poorly written with no respect for the audience's intelligence.

also having a rant about feminism is not valid film criticism in itself. all films reflect the times they are made in and in regard to Bond you are overstating the case. after all, after seeing his latest lay shot in the head his reaction was 'shocking waste of scotch' - hardly progressive.

every genre forum on the net is being infiltrated by the 'culture wars' mafia who have there own agenda whichever side of the fence you sit on. lets keep this one grounded and respectful. happy to hear a well reasoned argument with examples but anyone shouting an opinion should audition as a Doctor Who writer
Oh God!

Donald Pleasence of course. Blofeld as a character certainly got treated more as a cartoonish after thought as Bond progressed in the later years. I would have Pleasence's Blofeld over the bland Christoph Waltz Blofeld in Spectre. Blofeld was a classic Machiavellian portrayal. Pleasence certainly responded to the underlying nature of how Fleming wrote him. You Only Live Twice brings Blofeld's shadowy nature out, whereas Spectre just shows Blofeld as a rather bland, under developed Blofeld, that has no real current of evil in him. I wasn't convinced by Waltz as Blofeld one bit. Waltz doesn't seem that interested. Just get a nice hefty pay cheque, and that's that. Probably a lot to do with the writing of the character in Spectre. MAFIA!!! Rather strong words from you Rob. No. Don't think so. I just have strong views that often don't fit into the hivemind mentality of some forum members. Good try though. I'll give you that.