View Single Post
Old 22nd February 2020, 12:27 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by hivemind View Post
Oh God!

Donald Pleasence of course. Blofeld as a character certainly got treated more as a cartoonish after thought as Bond progressed in the later years. I would have Pleasence's Blofeld over the bland Christoph Waltz Blofeld in Spectre. Blofeld was a classic Machiavellian portrayal. Pleasence certainly responded to the underlying nature of how Fleming wrote him. You Only Live Twice brings Blofeld's shadowy nature out, whereas Spectre just shows Blofeld as a rather bland, under developed Blofeld, that has no real current of evil in him. I wasn't convinced by Waltz as Blofeld one bit. Waltz doesn't seem that interested. Just get a nice hefty pay cheque, and that's that. Probably a lot to do with the writing of the character in Spectre. MAFIA!!! Rather strong words from you Rob. No. Don't think so. I just have strong views that often don't fit into the hivemind mentality of some forum members. Good try though. I'll give you that.
1. You selected one of 3 portrayals to prove a point. Hardly an endorsement of the character. Pleasance is my favourite too. Doesn't mean there can never be another interpretation though.

2. You know nothing about Waltz's mindset so the criticism is uninformed and insulting in regard to the pay check. You thought the performance 'bland'. It's a fair point but I'd say he was underplaying which is a valid way to go given that all past portrayals had been more in your face. I'm not endorsing his interpretation by the way. I think you are probably right about placing the fault with the writers. It's hardly the worst villain ever though. Too much is overstated when it comes to 'fan' criticism.

3. Strong words from me? I think not, I always measure my words carefully. When I referred to 'mafia' I was careful to blame both sides of what I consider equally extreme views. It's ok to have strong views but they should be presented coherently with evidence and considered opinion. Not presented as a rant because the world around you is not proceeding as you like it.

PS here is a challenge. Above you present Licence to Kill as a good example of Bond at its best. Before that you bemoaned the fact that Bond was being too feminist. And yet LtK presented one of the first and best strong female leads in Carey Lowell. How do you square your circle? Happy to hear your thoughts but please don't shout at me... convince me?

Last edited by Rob4; 22nd February 2020 at 05:29 PM.