View Single Post
Old 8th March 2020, 10:11 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Location: Cornwall. The land of Cornish pasties, pixes and Straw Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I don't buy that it's legacy is wrecked.

How does something on screen in 2020 wreck the quality of a story like Genesis, Androzani or The Underwater Menace?

Answer, it doesn't.

You seem to be really wound up over recent events in Who whereas i really don't care, it doesn't spoil my enjoyment of stories from Doctor's 1-12. There will always be Doctor's / era's that an individual fan doesn't like as much as the rest and we are going through one of those times now and i am one of those disappointed by the direction taken. However the last episode was a week ago now so i simply ignore events i don't like.

As for me i'm really looking forward to seeing the animated Faceless Ones in a couple of weeks and then The Underwater Menace later in the year. Or is their legacy so tainted i shouldn't bother with them?

As for merchandise sales being down, how do you know?

The 5" figures released by B&M last year sold really well as will the newly released ones.

Character made a blunder in the late Smith era by changing the figures from 5" scale to 2.75" so they could be played with along with figures from other brands such as Star Wars. It was this range that didn't sell, all the 5" figures released since have performed well.

As for other merch i really don't know or care how well a Jodie Whitaker t-shirt sells.
I'm genuinely surprised by you Demdike.

The revelation that the Doctor was female turned out to be true, didn't it. William Hartnell replaced by a black baby. I've got nothing against black people you understand, but where does that place Dr Who? Hartnell was the first, but Chibnall delivers the blow by pushing for a re-think. A re-think that was to have far reaching consequences for the shows set legacy Even you turned your nose up at the very thought of the Doctor's origin being female. You seem to blow in so many directions like a weather vane on an exceptionally windy day. The origins of the Doctor matters to Dr Who. The mystery of who Doctor was or is, is an important and mysterious element of great significance. When the mystery is unravelled, then you have nothing but an empty show. A show that you seem only to happy to support, but don't complain down the road when Dr Parody gets cancelled, and blame it on people like me or iank etc.... Don't get me wrong, I still love classic who, and I enjoy some of the not so Nu Who, but when you break the spell, and destroy the magic behind the character, then you have a show that's no longer Doctor Who. 57 years of Doctor Who destroyed by the very corporation that produced this fine show in 1963. I'm looking forward to The Faceless Ones too, but under the surface, there's a bad taste. A taste of bitter disapointment. The origins of Who have been ripped apart to service an agenda to suit the BBC, rather than promote the shows strengths and stunning legacy through time and space.