View Single Post
Old 5th April 2020, 09:58 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Doctor Sleep (2019)

What an odd fragmented film this was. Or at least the first hour. Jumping from scene to scene with barely any linking narrative, it felt like i was watching additional scenes as a dvd special feature.

It was only during the second half that Doctor Sleep felt like a fully fledged and scripted movie especially the final forty minutes as we again ended up at the Overlook Hotel, drug induced orange and black carpets and all.

Despite my reservations, and i do aim to watch this again quite soon, the film was beautifully acted. Newcomer Kyliegh Curran was excellent as a child with the 'gift' of the Shining and Ewan McGregor was wonderfully sympathetic in his talks with dying patients in his job as a hospital orderly. The standout was definitely Rebecca Ferguson as the brilliant new Stephen King creation Rose the Hat, leader of a gang of psychic vampires. Ferguson's performance had everything i could ask for in a female villain.

Doctor Sleep was never frightening nor unsettling - perhaps this was a result of the disjointed first half - but it was come the end, a stylish and largely enjoyable ride.